Monday, March 12, 2007

Have you ever imagined?

Have you ever imagined what it would be like to live hundreds of years ago? Particularly in the Romantic Period. That's the literary period we looked at today in English. We had to pick a poem, read it, and discuss its meaning in class today. I thought I was being smart when I picked one of Robbie Burns' love poems because I thought it would be easy to understand but then I was educated on what its true purpose was. Supposedly he most likely didn't mean what he wrote and simply wrote it to look sensitive to pick up girls. Also men used to memorize poems to woo girls. Good thing I didn't live back then because Mrs. Harder told me I wasn't reading the poetry properly. But anyways Mrs. Harder was telling us about how fathers paid people to marry their daughters, only the oldest sons inherited anything and the rest joined the military, and there was only two social classes. I knew most of it but I decided to imagine what it would have been like back then anyways. Must have been some interesting times.

So lastnight I started reading my new book Catch-22. So far I think it's one of the best novels I've ever read before. It's about an American bombardier in WW2 who wants to live forever or die trying in the process. Him and his buddy Dunbar come up with things to get out of combat. For example they fake illnesses to go to the hospital and only leave the hospital when another patient annoys them or they get bored. Anyways some very interesting stuff. Makes me wish I could study English literature and history for the rest of my life. Maybe if I win the lottery or my future wife wins the lottery I'll spend it on studying English and history.

No comments: