Friday, August 25, 2006

Countdown to the real world

So I'll start off by saying something about yesterday's blog. It's very vague and for good reason. It has nothing to do with flying either and yeah I'll just stop talking about it before I unvague it.

So today was Day 5 of me swathing. It sorta feels like a marathon. The sorta crappy marathon that you don't wanna be in and that no one shows up to watch. Tomorrow I have to be on the swather at like 6 or 7 in the morning. That pretty much really sucks.

So all of this swathing has reminded me (not that I needed any reminding) that I don't want to spend the rest of my life farming or for that matter near farming. So I took the oppurtunity to start getting all my stuff together. By stuff I mean university applications and the like. So I want to take a degree in engineering. So far I have the marks for it. Unfortunately I don't have all the classes for it. This is where everyone says but Brad you aren't done high school. You'll have them by June. Well kids I won't unless I take some of them by correspondance! Or I could just hope the military accepts me for RMC and then I won't need the correspondance course. So now I'm gonna have to take Calculus by correspondance. Which I guess shouldn't be bad. Except for my busy schedule.

The next month or two or possibly 3 or for that matter a long long time I'm gonna be tres busy. At least it's looking that way. Starting on the 6th I have school, the 9th gliding starts, the 10th is the student council retreat, who knows when soccer is starting, and of course work. I'm sure there's going to be a lot more stuff to. So life is going to be real busy. Just the way I like it. Hopefully I can find time to chase girls and hang out.

Ok so back to the applying for things. So I've got the forms to fill out to join the Canadian Forces. On them you have to apply for three different jobs to increase your chances of getting accepted. Naturally my first choice is pilot. My second is going to be Aerospace Controller which is like an Air Traffic Controller. My third is still up in the air. I'm leaning towards combat engineer. However my parents are sorta frowning upon that because they're worried I'll end up in a body bag ten years from now while I'm serving in some far off land. I tried explaining to them that I really have no ambition to be a paper pusher desk jockey and that if I can't fly a plane or tell one where to go that I want to be out in the field making a difference and leading people not sitting in an office drinking coffee and doing paperwork. They didn't seem to care and just said that they knew I'd make the right decision. I think what they are getting at is that they'll be mad if I end up as a combat engineer. I guess we'll see what happens. I'm really not concerned about ending up in a body bag. I love living and my number one fear in life is dieing but someone has to clear the world of mines, build bridges, etc while getting shot at in some far off country. If I end up being one of those people and end up paying the ultimate price then at least I did something good with my life.

Thoughts, comments, queries, and concerns?

1 comment:

Adrienne said...

If you really want some spectators for your swathing marathon, I'm sure us Lennox's with no jobs and nothing better to do might come and watch you. lol just kidding. we're gonna go watch Accepted instead. but yeah, I think its great that you're willing to do anything for your country. except sit behind a desk, which i totally understand.