Sunday, November 05, 2006

You turn 18 and then what.............it's all down hill until 65.

So this was my first weekend with out gliding. Sorta sad except I slept in two days in a row and I enjoyed it nearly as much as Christmas. Which by the way is 49 days away!

So Friday was Youth Group. I gotta say that's some good times there. Makes me feel like I'm 10 again, which is cool. Makes me forget about all that graduating, moving away, etc stuff. After Youth Group I went to..............you guessed it Adrienne's place!

Saturday I had to put up Christmas lights. It was sorta funny when I was looking for a ladder or something in the furthest place away from the house when I started hearing all this screaming. I thought Julie had fallen off the roof but apparently she was just yelling at Dad about how she thought I was given special treatment compared to her and blah blah. I get a kick out of her outbursts. In the afternoon I had to go to town to deliver phonebooks which was a giant annoyance.

When I got home however. Since my birthday is on Tuesday, mother dearest of course figured I should have the family supper dealio. After supper my godfather and I had some business to take care of. When I was in the womb, he bet my mom a bottle of rye that I'd be born after December 1st. Let's just say he was wrong and he bought the bottle. Now my mom didn't drink this bottle. No they made an agreement that on my 18th I'd drink it with my godfather. So we drank it. It went down fairly good and it stayed down so that's all that matters. So when you turn 18 you get a lot of happy birthdays, comments, advice, etc from everyone you know. Now probably the best comment I got was from my dad's friend. He started his little speech by saying you know Brad you've turned 18 and then asked me if I knew what was next. Of course I assumed he was going to say a certain 3 letter word so that's what I said. I was wrong. He went on to tell me that after 18 there's nothing special until you hit 65. 16 is monumental because you start to drive, and 18 because of smoking, drinking, voting, etc. He finished his bit of advice by saying that 65 is monumental because you get your pension. He also threw in that sure you get married and have kids but thats nothing special, when you turn 30 and 40 nothing happens, and when you turn 50 all you do is hope you make it to 65. Now I found this all pretty amusing especially when his wife looked at him. Some would say that's pessimestic and that he's not an optimist. In fact someone pointed that out to him and he replied by saying he was a realist. Overall not a bad night considering there was no one my age there. Some people even supported The Get Brad in the Sky Again Fund and The Buy Brad a Pair of Curling Shoes Fund.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You rock brad, I think there's much to look forward to.. although pension is gonna be a good day....

britscrazylife said...

just thought i would leave a message saying HAPPY 18th BIRTHDAY BRAD!!! lol

katryn said...

happy 18th Birthday!

jannafaye said...

happy b-day brad...
and by the way i think 19 has been a pretty stellar year...so there's hope for you yet!