Friday, September 14, 2007

Half Way There

So this is my first post since reaching RMC. Where to start, where to start?! Well I'm in the middle of FYOP as most of you know. FYOP by the way is First Year Orientation Period or it could be called a variety of other things, which I won't get into. I started classes on Monday and am quite happy that the campus isn't to large, because it's confusing enough as it is. I think I've been lost at least once everyday (except today) while attempting to find my classes.

On the class side of things I have a lot of classes. All of them at the moment seeming very difficult but my brain hasn't fully turned on yet. Possibly because I'm still recovering from 2 months of boot camp, while undergoing a fun/strict orientation period. Let me get on to the Orientation period portion of my life.

Every morning at 0600 I'm awoken by loud music. Usually the song is O Fortuna (not sure who sings it but download it to get a taste of it. It's classical and semi-depressing). If we're lucky they spice the music selection up a little. Thursday morning it was "Everybody Is Working for the Weekend" and today it was "We're Here for a Good Time" by Trooper. The songs are more then just a wake up call, they're a timer. A timer to get up, shave, get dressed, and have my bed made. Oh and make sure the rest of my room is clean. Fortunately I have a good roommate and all of that is usually a breeze, except on the mornings where I wake up thinking about all the beer I would have drank and girls I would have chased had I gone to U of M or U of S, but in the long run RMC will be the best (worldclass education, I'll be in shape, I'll have a job, etc, etc.) Then after the wake up call it is usually morning PT (long distance run up Fort Henry, ladder training, hills, circuit training, etc). Then we come back to the dorms where we are given 8 minutes to shower, and put on our uniforms to be ready for inspection. Then it's inspection, breakfast, and classes. When classes are done for the day and I feel mentally exhausted and for that matter physically exhausted we go play some sports, where my flight (Whiskey flight) usually dominates over the other flights! Then it's another 8 minute shower and change, then supper, study time with 15 minute phone breaks, hygiene time, and bedtime. At bedtime we sing "Goodbye Saigon". Another song I highly recommend downloading just for fun. It's an interesting song about war, written from a slightly down mood. Then it's sleepy time, which if I'm lucky is disturbed by gift bearing second years. They like to bring us Timbits, cheeseburgers, etc in the night since we're confined to campus until the obstacle course on the 28th.

This weekend should prove to be interesting. Since we have no classes we're most likely fresh meat for our FYOP staff. But hey it's all good I can use the push ups and running. I do know we're beginning our practice runs of the obstacle course. We're doing a course up at CFB Kingston and doing a walk through of the course we'll take on the 28th so that we can come up with strategies to get over the various obstacles. I'll show y'all a vid of last years obstacle course. This year the course is longer with the formation of 3 new Sqns. But it should be good. I can't think of much else to say and I've probably bored y'all to death but now you know what's going on with me so leave some comments and such and take it easy. Oh and if you're still in high school enjoy it while it lasts. Trust me. Nothing beats your own bed, homecooked meals, a mother who does your laundry, and other such luxuries. Plus the classes are a breeze but anyways have a good one!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brad I'm pretty sure you're my new hero. There's no way I could handle all that stuff every day, and I don't know many other people who could. Maybe you'll be all buff by christmas time and when you come home all the highschool girs will be swooning over you :P

Hope you're having fun aside from he whole mental and physical exhaustion thing, and good luck with the obstacle course!