Sunday, October 07, 2007

RMC vs. SLS

So right now I should probably tending to my mound of home work or taking the last oppurtunity I have to rest before I go back to Kingston tomorrow but I'm up and posting again. This time I'm going to talk about the differences between Shoal Lake School and the Royal Military College of Canada. Some of these differences are pros, some cons, and some of them are just things I need to learn to adapt to. So to sum the adaptation part up I need to listen to some advice I've often dished out. That being: "Suck it up buttercup!". That's exactly what I've been doing to. Though I also need to curb my procrastination habit but then again so does every student on the face of the planet. So let me begin with the differences between SLS (the best high school I can think of) and RMC (the best college that's actually a university I can think of).

So where to begin. Obviously one institution is a university and the other a high school. RMC has tons of tradition and history. SLS not so much, though hopefully my leg waxing and mohawk stunts have paved the way for future presidents to do equally crazy stuff, thus starting some sort of tradition. Back in high school I pretty much dominated or at least in some ways. I may not have been the brightest or the most athletic person to grace the hallway of SLS but I still ruled that school in comparison to RMC. I could walk into the principal's office sit in his comfy chair, spin around in it, use his phone, hell maybe even use his pen and paper to write myself a note. I did this simply by asking the secretary if I could. I don't even know where the principle's office is at RMC but I'm quite sure his secretary wouldn't let me into see him without an appointment let alone let me in to his empty office to use the phone. At SLS I said hi to the little kids and they replied. I did that because it was the nice thing to do and it made them feel included. At RMC I say good-day to the older students and if I'm lucky they reply with a good-day first year. I'm lucky if I get my lastname said to me let alone my first. In fact the only person that says my first name is Henk. FYI I'm not complaining I'm just going through some of the differences between my new life and old life.

Then there's my classes. I had a full course load all through high school, but I was never taking more then 6 classes at a time. Oh and my classes were much smaller. Grade 12 math there was maybe 15 people at the most. 1st year calculus...............45-50 students. There is definitely more differences I could go through, but my desire to sleep outweighs my desire to talk about my life. So goodnight and hopefully you enjoyed hearing about the changes in my lifestyle!

P.S. I have no problem with running more then 2kms without stopping now. In fact I ran 6.6kms in 40 minutes this past Friday.

No comments: