Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Well it’s Canada Day. I’m sure most of you have noticed the lack of posts on the blog these days. That can be attributed to my lack of internet, and the fact that the little internet I’m capable of accessing blogging is blocked out. Though I do have a secondary source, so I’ve decided to collect up some of my recent thoughts and get them out while I have the chance to utilize my secondary source. Canada Day marks my last statute holiday for a while, and that I have four days left in my stay at the Canadian Forces Language School. On Monday I’ll move from my comfy standard of living to a less comfortable standard when I move back over to the Canadian Forces Leadership and Recruit School, to complete part two of my Basic Officer Training Course.
Well I will fill you all in with what I’ve been up to since I last posted. I’ve still been studying French during the week. What I’ve been doing on the weekends has been much more exciting. Well one weekend I ventured down to Vermont with some pals of mine. We visited Burlington, which I’m pretty sure is the capital of Vermont. We gave ourselves a walking tour of the city, and the University of Vermont. The weekend after we decided to bike to Montreal, after the thought was provoked by a Health Day held at the Royal Military College (St. Jean Campus). The ride to Montreal was around 60kms and took us about 3 hours. Getting across the St. Lawrence from Longueuil to Montreal was quite the adventure. Who ever is in charge of building or constructing the numerous bike paths in Quebec did not clearly map or build them across the St. Lawrence. Needless to say we made our away across the Champlain Bridge over top La Ronde (Montreal’s amusement park), and into Montreal. Fortunately we hit Ste. Catherine’s Street, where we found a nice little hamburger shop. After dining on some good eats, we biked through The Village, down into the Old Port, where we biked down cobblestone streets, which needless to say hurt my already sensitive and sore rear. After more pedaling, and a few wrong turns we ended up on the racetrack used for Formula 1 races. After a few more wrong turns, path closures, and a stop at a convenience store for a few litres of Powerade, we got back on the trail and on the way back to St. Jean. Needless to say it was one of the most physically exerting 12 hour periods of my life. This past weekend I ended up in Montreal once again, not on a bicycle this time though. With some friends I attended the Montreal Jazz Festival, which is supposedly the largest outdoors jazz festival in the world.....supposedly. I also had the chance to visit a friend I haven’t seen in quite some time, which was awesome. Stay tuned to Facebook for pictures of most of these adventures.
Happy Canada Day! Stay tuned for more, and don’t worry if there’s large gaps in between posts.

No comments: